Friday, August 15, 2008

Isn't every voter a "values-based voter"?

I've discovered a new pet peeve... the use of the redundant term "values-based voter" to describe a voting bloc that might more accurately be characterized as "the religious zealot vote".

Analysis: Candidates can't ignore values-based voters

I wish the media would stop using this euphemism - it reinforces the idiotic prejudice, commonly held by the religious, that only religious people have values.

What about people who believe in social justice? What about people who believe in peace? What about people who believe in equality for all races and sexual orientations? Aren't they "values-based voters" too? Why is it that only homophobic religious wingnuts are allowed to talk about "values"?

Guess what? I'm an atheist... and I have values too.

2 comments:

Chuk said...

I don't vote based on values. Usually I flip a coin or roll a die.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on cheapest business electricity.
Regards

Feel free to surf to my weblog :: Business electricity price comparison